Thursday, March 3, 2016

Sorry

Have you every had a song get stuck in your head? I have. I do!
I have had a song stuck in my head for awhile. I am not sure why. To be honest, I am writing this blog post in hopes that the process of writing will release me from bondage to this song.
The song that has been traveling with me this week is a song by pop artist Justin Bieber titled “Sorry.” At some point the song entered my thought space and has refused to leave. In case you are unfamiliar with the catchy song allow me to share a few of the lyrics with you.

You gotta go and get angry at all of my honesty
You know I try but I don't do too well with apologies
I hope I don't run out of time. Could someone call a referee?
'Cause I just need one more shot at forgiveness
I know you know that I made those mistakes maybe once or twice
And by once or twice I mean maybe a couple of hundred times
So let me, oh, let me redeem, oh, redeem, oh, myself tonight
'Cause I just need one more shot, second chances
Yeah
Is it too late now to say sorry?

The song is a plea for forgiveness from a lost lover. A last ditch effort for another chance. The big question, “Is it too late now to say sorry?” The sad reality is that relationships get broken. Everyone has experienced the pain of a broken relationship. Some relationships can be repaired but many become so severed that they move beyond the hope of reconciliation. The result is pain.  


Deep, gut wrenching pain. 

No more shots at forgiveness.

Nothing can be done to redeem.

No more second chances.

The pain is so deep that we feel like we are going to die.
In Ephesians 1 the Apostle Paul, a man familiar with pain and rejection, writes
In [Jesus] we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God’s grace  that he lavished on us. With all wisdom and understanding,


Paul says that through Jesus we can have redemption. We can have forgiveness. Jesus lived a perfect life of love and faithfulness to God and other people. Jesus loved the people he created but they rejected him.
This rejection was painful. In his pain Jesus did not merely feel like he was going to die, he really died. He was put to death on the cross. It is because Jesus died and shed his blood that you and I can experience the redemption, reconciliation and forgiveness we long for. In Jesus we get a second chance.
Are you in need of a second chance today? Are you looking for one more shot at forgiveness?
Is it too late now to say sorry? No. Never.
Jesus is waiting for you to come and ask him for the forgiveness your heart longs for most. Come to him and allow Jesus to lavish on you the riches of God’s grace. 


No comments:

Post a Comment